Chief Data Officer, Tata Steel Europe
January 2020 – Present
- Led transformation of data-handling processes, eliminating 50,000 working hours per year and €15m of direct costs.
- Coordinated data quality improvement programmes across 30 different departments with 400 monthly users.
- Implemented Agile / DevOps software development, cutting data availability lead times from months to days.
Group Chief Strategy Europe, Tata Steel Europe
November 2017 – January 2020
- Led European asset evaluation for an investment programme totalling £4bn.
- Consulted on a range of strategic topics, building relationships across functions and working directly with the executive committee and board.
- Developed a diverse team of five strategists, economists and modellers.
Strategy Manager, Tata Steel Europe
July 2012 – November 2017
- Developed enterprise-level turnaround plans resulting in investments worth over £3bn, divestments of four business units and several market exits.
- Prepared and presented strategic papers to senior leadership and board.
- Developed data visualisations to explain complex strategic and market topics.
Business Analyst, Tata Steel Long Products
December 2010 – July 2012
- Managed a project office for a turnaround programme which delivered a £100m profit improvement in 8 months.
- Helped implement a pricing policy project with data and analysis that led to revenue improvements of £5m.
- Supported the senior management team with high-quality, timely reporting and analysis.
Researcher, Corus Research, Development & Technology
August 2007 – December 2010
- Developed a novel method of detecting the cause of a production issue that was preventing the company from competing in a main market.
- Independently established a new inspection laboratory that helped develop several new products.
MSci in Natural Sciences, University of Cambridge
September 2006 – June 2007
Discovered and characterised a novel nanostructured material.
BA in Natural Sciences, University of Cambridge
September 2003 – June 2006
- People: Leadership, communication, presentation, stakeholder management, coaching, team development, Agile / DevOps projects.
- Office: PowerPoint and Excel, markdown, graphics (diagrams, vector icons, Photoshop).